View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cdog, not all but many SPF's have an inherent clunk in the drivetrain. My car has it and it is most noticable when I'm slowly rolling along in 1st or 2nd gear at idle. Not accelerating or braking...just rolling. As the car lurches back and forth from the cam lope...I can hear and feel some clunking from the rear-end. I've searched and searched for the source but have never been able to find it. I think it is just tolerance stack-up in the drive train. It seems to be normal and I've learned to tolerate it.

On the other hand, as cracker said, as severe as your's sound...it should be obvious when you get under the car.

Double check the tightness of all of the drivetrain fasteners. If you have the driveshaft emergency brake, check the driveshaft bolts. In some cases, with this arrangment, a few SPF'ers have reported that the bolts have loosened over time. If your car (I believe) is in the 1900-2000 range...also check the torque on the rear axle nuts. In some cases, these nuts worked loose.

Good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully your experience will help me find out where my clunk is coming from...but in the meantime, I've learned to drive around it and I really don't have any complaints.

-Rob