View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX Cars

Quote:
While the transverse leaf spring cars may be historically correct, I believe what most guys are after is the FIA body,not necessarily the leaf spring suspension.
I've talked to a couple drivers just recently who drive the original 289 FIA cars in historic races and they both said the leaf spring cars are a real bear to drive and control on the racetrack. They both agreed the best of both worlds would be a 289 FIA/USRRC body on a 427 S/C chassis.

My 2 cent's worth is that the 289 is the most beatiful body of the Cobras, but the 427 chassis is much stronger and much easier to tune, adjust, and drive.
I think that if you try to be too original that the car may end up with all the attendant problems the originals had which may/may not be desirable from a sales point of view.
A hybrid gets my vote- use the EVO 5 chassis and have Bruce build you 289 FIA bodies to fit it.
I have tracked both cars. The leaf spring design may be old, but IMHO it is a much better track car than 427. The car is very predictable and handles very well. Recently we were running against a KMP 427 (SO block with realistic HP, not 600 or 700) with the full aluminum suspension and had no problems passing it.