View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Contemporary was a great replica shop in their day. From what I have seen, it appears that quite a few examples in the North East were Chevy powered. You have to drive the car to see how it handles and having a knowledgable current Cobra owner along would be advisable. ERA and Contemporary duked it out in the early days... Nice body and fairly accurate round tube frame. All the suspension parts are Jaguar if memory serves. Inspect all the chasis and running gear underneath. Check the wiring for corrosion and function. The engine and trannie are safe bets for easy fixing or parts. Look the body over well for stress cracks and signs of neglect and abuse. If you are buying the car from a current owner, get a sense of how obsessive he is... the more the better IMHO. If you get alot of Duhhs and I dont knows.... then the owner is a driver and I would suspect the care of the care was entrusted to others. Check the brake fluid as a good and accurate marker for care.... dark = neglect.

If you look at my Bibliography and go to the magazines section and then have your browser (EDIT, find on this page) "contemporary" you will find most all the magazines that have reviewed or discussed that marke.

Since you are in GA, there are quite a few Cobra owners down there who I am sure can provide a knowledgable set of eyes for you. If one is or was a Contemporary owner then all the better.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 07-19-2006 at 10:14 AM..