View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 01:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Well when it comes to the FE engine and you do not use the 427 block you really only have two good choices left. That is to use a 390 or 428 block. The 428 blocks that were made from 67 to 70 are getting pretty expensive because the restorers are wanting them to do original cars with and they bring pretty good money. I have sold some of these blocks for 1500.00 un-machined. What we have been using are the 428CJ service blocks which are just as good if not better than the originals. I have several of these blocks that we have baked, tumbled, crack checked, tapped and sonic tested. I can sell these blocks for about 600.00 more than a 390 block and I feel that is makes a good way to go. You get a bigger bore and they are 3 web blocks for some extra strength. If you use one of these blocks at .030 over with a Scat 4.250 crankshaft you get about 460C.I. out of the engine. We have done several of these that make between 500 to 600HP depending on the camshaft and heads used. These were premium pump gas engines.
One of these short blocks with the fully machined 428CJ service block with the Scat cast steel crankshaft, Scat 6.700 Ibeam rods, Diamond pistons, rings, bearings, zero balanced and assembled would run about 4000.00 with out the camshaft and timing set. It would just depend on what you want to run on that for the price. The 390 block deal would run about 600.00 less. You could save some by using a stock 428 crankshaft and rods but not much. You can save even more with a 390 crankshaft and set of rods but you would have a lot smaller engine. Hope this helps a little bit with your short block choice. Thanks, Keith