View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #304 428FE
Not Ranked     
Default Throw out bearing and slave cylinder failure

Dave:

I've just joined the club. I noticed your name and association with transmissions in some of the posted correspondance. I have a 428FE ERA Cobra that I purchased in 1999. I have since rebuilt the motor. My guess is that I'm around the 450hp mark. I just started having clutch problems. The clutch had an engage delay of about 3 seconds when let the pedal out. Upon removing the 4 speed top loader I noticed that I had fluid on the inside of the bell housing. There was also fluid around hydralic slave cylinder mounted to the face of the transmission. The master cylinder is a Tilton and is mounted outside the bell housing in he car frame. My assumption is that the slave cylinder and throw out bearing are also Tilton, but I'm not sure. Both the throw out bearing and the orange seals on the inside of the slave cylinder look to be shot. How can I identify the slave cylinder and throw bearing type and are they rebuildable or do I have to buy a knew one? I've also tried to find a Tilton web site to help identify the cylinder but haven't been successful yet.

Gregg Davis