View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Molding

Nanard289

The easiest way, I have found for making these is to bend a sheet of some 1/16th aluminium in a curve. Cut into two pieces about 15 inches long by 4 inches. Take a piece of plexi-glass about the same size and place it on one of the curved aluminium pieces in, yes, your home oven at about 280--300 degrees until it starts to drop over the aluminium. Put the other aluminium piece over the plexi-glass making an alum-plexi-glass--aluminium sandwich.

Pull out of the oven and clamp with those $1.00 squeeze clamps from Home Depot. The clamping force keeps the curved shape as the plexi-glass cools.
Trim to desired length and width. It may take a few trys. The aluminium and the plexi-glass must be CLEAN or you will get marring. As this smells a little in the house best to do when the wife is out. Lexan should not be used as it does not work well and requires after molding a baking operation to remove moisture from it or it will cloud over.

I use a fiber glass male and female mold instead of the aluminium but the aluminium works fine if you just want to make a couple.

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Bill K