View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Knight
My Dad changed the oil in the family cars each 6 months. He religiously top the oil up with an additive in a tube called 'Molybond' or similiar.

He took the old oil out of the cars and then did an oil change in the motor mower with the old oil.

..like him the motor mower is old, but still going strong. Now 'Molybond' may not exist today but hell he used it all the time..... even in the diff and the gearboxes...

Alvin, don't forget to do the filter and fill it with oil as you put the new one on. Then I'll bring my car over and you can do it also..

Bernie
The Molybond that your father would have used contains Molybdenum Disulphide (sp?), when mixed with oil it's kind of like liquid teflon. You use Moly grease on bearings and cam lobes when assembling a motor - very slippery stuff...

I just went to the cupboard and found a container of Molybond powder. We use it on the plastic magazines of the Steyr - it's very handy stuff to have around....

It's still available too I think, though with oil technology these days there wouldn't be much call for it's use.