Thread: ERA vs. Unique
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I assume that by the term quality, you mean overall workmanship, fit, finish, and reliability?

If that's the case, then in terms of quality, I'm not sure you are going to find factual reasons as to why one is better than the other. If you research these threads, you'll see owners of both who have had various bugs to work out from time to time. But I think the overall quality of the two are pretty equal (and very good).

If your definition of quality includes the aspect of accuracy, then there are some factual reasons as to why one is closer to an original than the other. The ERA 427's are technically more accurate than Unique's (but only slightly, and in a few small details). I personally feel that the bodies of both are damn close. The FIA is a bit different story, as the ERA is technically quite a bit more accurate in appearance. Although you've got to be a real purist to see know what these details are.

I will also say that I have 3 different copies of the Unique build manual, and all of them leave a bit to be desired, (although they will work for anyone who is slightly mechanically inclined). I have never seen an ERA manual, so I can't compare.

Now for my (biased) opinion: Unique's Deluxe Pallet kit is the best buy in the market. High quality, very complete, and more aesthetically accurate (from a body/interior/stance standpoint) than the majority of cars in the marketplace - all for a very reasonable price and a much shorter wait. Plus, extremely fast and friendly customer service from the Weavers, and a great support network of fellow Unique owners (which ERA is also known for).

If you ask Unique owners what brand of Cobra replica they would own if they couldn't own a Unique (and for around the same price), I bet most would say ERA. I think the opposite would be true as well.