View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedraper
its a 68 429 c9ve block and heads, the heads are 72cc if im correct. I want to stil use pump gas. its for my wifes car that she will drive on weekends. I want good HP but not enough that it will scare her. So does this help.lol
If you plan to retain the 429 rotating assembly, piston choices are going to be somewhat limited.

Given that this is for your wife's car and you don't need axle snapping power, I would suggest a flat top piston and changing to D3VE heads. This should give you approx 9:1 compression. Stock replacement pistons with a ~12cc dish will give you approx 10:1 with the 72cc heads you have. That would probably be okay with premium fuel, but it doesn't sound like you need to push the compression for your power goals.

Pair the 9:1 piston/heads with a dual pattern cam that has 204-214 @.050 intake duration and you should have a nice running engine that will still make more power than she needs.

I believe Summit Racing sells a rebuilt kit with the flat top TRW pistons and everything else you need except the cam and lifters for about $600.00. You might want to check that out.

429 Pistons I'm familiar with are as follows:

Kieth Black: KB368 (hyper w/flat top), 1161 (cast w/dish)
Clevitte 224-1869 (cast w/dish)
TRW: L2366F (forged)
JE: 3977 (forged)
CP PISTONS: F6-CP (forged)
ROSS: 78473 (forged)

Last edited by CarsByCarl; 09-12-2006 at 04:26 PM..