Thread: 1/4 mile times
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #177 Carbed Ford Small Block
Not Ranked     

I ran a 12.1 at 116 with an open 3.46. I have since switched to a 3.64 ls diff and have yet to best 12.7 at 109. The open diff was much more forgiving at the launch on radial t/a and the ls is much harder to keep a grip with.

Traction is most definitely the problem. I don't care who you are, putting 460 ft lbs of torque at the wheels with barely 1000 lbs (if that) sitting on it is next to impossible without drag radials or better yet slicks. With a set of street ets and a few practice runs I believe I could sink into the mid 11s relatively easily. Look at Chris's 60' of 1.5. That’s a mid 10 second run with a motor that has more poop. Does he have drag radials? Bet your arse he does.

I would also agree with Jerry on sitting on the rev limiter. I have intentionally done it at the last trap and I am peeking out on rpms somewhere around 100 feet before the 1/4 trap in 3rd gear meaning about 6400. You will have better times if you go ahead and shift. It takes a few tenths to do it, but running flat for 100' does not pay. The other time I do it is most assuredly unintentionally at the line. ~@~^&@!#&*$#^

Yes of course it is experience, but more than that is tires, tires, tires.

Just my two cents....

Hey Jerry, I wished I had thought to have you run my car down the track to see what it would really do.