View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry, I'm not well versed in this subject to render a worthy opinion as to pros and cons. I'm just going on a 'gut' feeling from what I've gleaned here and there. For instance, at one point I was considering a 'blower' for my Excalibur. During that 'research' phase I heard from several sources that the hyper pistons I was running were not strong enough for boost, let alone a 'bottle'! Perhaps a mild boost, but care should be exercised or the pistons should be changed.

If there not strong enough for boost or a bottle, how would they stand up to a 'lean' condition or 'pre-ignition'? Not as good as forged I'm thinking, so 'get that motor right', right from the beginning!

I came across an article at some point addressing 'piston slap', complaints from NEW car owners on a warranty level. Turns out hyper pistons, commonly used in new cars, do tend to 'slap' more than other pistons. No big deal, not a warranty issue, but it 'bothered' me.

Manufacturers like them for various reasons, ease of installation and price I suspect are big reasons why. I guess the real question is: Are they strong enough for YOUR intended use? There certainly cheaper than forged, so when you consider 'cost benefit analysis' they might be a good call for you. LOTS of people like them for various reasons.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-19-2006 at 01:16 AM..