View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     
Smile Lash Setting

The actual cylinder number six.

The reason I did the setting order like that is you can work your way thru lash setting in only two complete turns of the crank [1/4 turn at a time] and the cyl you are working on will be above or below the one with the valve's rocking.

Example- Set #1 with#6 rocking, Set#5 with#3 rocking, Set#4 with#7 rocking, Set#2 with#8 rocking, Set#6 with#1 rocking, Set#3 with#5 rocking, Set#7 with #4 rocking, Set#8 with#2 rocking.

All of this is easier with the plugs removed. When you bring the crank round to TDC watch the valves on cyls #1 & #6. One or the other will be in the rocking[ex closing/in opening]. If its #1 rocking turn the crank one more complete turn so that you can start your lash settings on #1. The front pulley can be marked with a piece of chalk or tape for each 1/4 turn[90deg] to help the process if you desire. I see a few guy's advocating the use of 'bump' switches. I prefer to remove the plugs & turn the crank with a ratchet& socket on the nose of the crank, or if your working on a smooth shop floor put the trans in top gear and rock the car forward to each checking point[ that may be difficult on Cobras w/o flip front ]

While JAY has the actual cyl numbers in the correct layout, he has superimposed them on a CHEV block, which staggers the bores the other way from Ford blocks. Hopefully that will only confuse the chevy owners who browse this forum looking for ideas.

Last edited by Jac Mac; 09-29-2006 at 01:19 PM..