View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC - #463 - 427 SOHC
Not Ranked     
Default Spring Meet

All,

The persistent annual desire to move the Austin meet is getting OLD. Plans are already in the making for next years event.

The turnout in the past has made it necessary for us to find a larger venue to host this event...............we grew out of the space we had on 360 for the first few years.

Jacque and I spent several weekends driving, researching & talking to various sites in and around the Austin area before we happened on the Marriott. The people there have bent over backwards to provide us with a site to have our event...........they want us back every year!!! The Marriott has advantages that I can tell you won't be found anywhere else in or around the Austin area.........plenty of parking for trailers, support vehicles and the cars - as many rooms as we need - when we need them and a reasonable price......restaurants and activities in the area. Construction is always a hassle, but any large city (Houston, Dallas or San Antonio ) has construction and traffic problems most of the time. I can tell you from experience that there is no place in Marble Falls, San Marcos, Bastrop, Fredricksburg or Georgetown that can accommodate this large an event...........you find it - let me know.

In organizing this event we try to provide new activities every year - new cruise routes every year - but, as has been said many times 'it's not the cars or the place........it's the people' that make the time enjoyable.

The Houston club hosted a tailgate party last year that was incredible.....a great idea...............let's do it again!!!

Please make your suggestions for cruises or any other ways to improve the meet.............but, as far as the hotel is concerned there is no other place that meets or needs.

I will be talking with the resort at Lost Pines ( the site that Ed mentioned ) to see if they have any interest in providing us with a place to host our event.
Initially, their rooms rates are in the $ 250 range, which makes for some people a $ 750 bill just for a place to sleep..........how many are interested in something like that??? I'm not.........for sure!!!!

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox............hope to see each and everyone of you at the Spring meet................plans are in progress and evolving.
We will keep you updated as plans develop.

Dee Walters/Cammer