View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Ed,

This was my post from page 4 but this is how it really got started in Austin!

Maybe we should remember who really makes the event! It's the people and cars that attend. When we started this back in 1999 we decided this would not be a a typical club with dues and tons of organization. Charmer recommended coming to Austin for the 1st event, as we decided to get together in February 2000 and thought the weather would be warmer in Austin instead of Dallas (at that time), even though most of the Cobra owners were in Dallas. After the 1st event, the parking garage and hill country cruises got our attention and as more people joined in from around the state, Austin just seemed the best central location for everyone to meet. I still think that holds true, but we have out grown the parking garage and personally the Marriott and traffic is getting old. Every year I keep hearing everyone say how much fun they have out in the hill country but hate getting there and back. People always get lost or held up with the traffic etc. I've been to a ton of car events over 35 years and multiple hotels is usually the norm. The idea of a small town gathering seems to have great interest with many! One of the reasons we may be losing people is the same venue and some of the issues all of you have been talking about. One thing you can always count on is "Change!" Change is good but hard for many to accept, but at the end of the day it's what the majority want to do, as they make the event. I think moving the date from February to March is a good example to keep in mind. Some just could not accept the fact the majority wanted warmer weather and leaves on those trees we were looking at. Maybe it's time to reconsider the founding principals again or risk the whole thing falling apart. This is the Texas Cobra Club Event not the Austin, Dallas, Houston or any other City Event!