View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

Greg, unless you know what you are doing you would be best advised to leave it to a pro. If you call they guys at Valley Springs Differentials and ask for a good set of used gears like I did I bet you could get the third member you want for maybe $400-425 shipping included and you know it will be right.

As far as I know, the only part that needs to be changed is the actual differential assembly that the ring gear bolts to. The trick is getting everything set up correctly. If you wanted to do the swap yourself you could remove the open end differential from the carrier, bolt the ring gear onto the posi unit and drop it back into the case. Leave the pinion alone. Then all you should really have to do is set the backlash. You could do that by purchasing a fresh posi unit with side bearings already pressed on as long as you were certain that the posi unit was the correct one for your gear ratio.

I still think your best bet is to just buy the entire third member from a reputable shop with new clutches, bearings and seals already installed and set up.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."