View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Is a 700 cfm 4150 too much carb for a mild 351?

Guys,

I have a question about the carb we're currently running on our engine. It's a mild 351C with a dual plane intake, 9.4:1 compression and a very mild cam (6k RPM max). A friend gave us a 4150 700 cfm double pumper that we thought would work pretty well. We're having trouble leaning out the idle mixture. Does anyone have enough experience to tell us whether this is just too much carb for this mild of a motor? I know I'm not running on the transition circuit, as I had to drill .1" holes in the primary throttle plates to allow me to close the butterflies enough to not expose the transition slots at idle. Do the main jets have any affect on idle? I thought the idle feed restrictions, idle air bleeds and the idle mixture screws were the only things that affected the idle but I wanted to ask someone with more experience. The carb is newly rebuilt and appears to be working properly with the exception of my idle tuning. The idle mixture screws are about 5/8 of a turn off their seats, which tells me something else is wrong from what I've read. Thanks guys!