Thread: Pusher Fans
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

I like the looks of the pusher fans too. I have used other kits a few times but never liked the looks of the perforated black steel mounting bars. Finishline has a nice kits and is always a pleasure to work with. These may be more original looking but I never checked. Original look was not my drive or that important so we started building our own fan kit with polished aluminum mounting bars because I could not find them anywhere else.
Some fashion of a 90 degree bracket was needed to mount back into various locations/surfaces and steel was easier for most to weld I do agree. So we include a 90 degree foot if you will for each end that you cut to length with a simple hacksaw and then bolt in place. Our kit still requires you to drill the mounting holes but is as complete and universal as we could make it.
The other area that needs to be addressed is how they are turned on and off. I am a big believer that all fans should be designed with a temp sensors that come on automatically if the engine is running and it reaches a given temp. They also have a manual over-ride switch to turn on whenever desired. The auto feature is there if somebody forgets to turn fans on. These features can be wired a couple of ways but we feel strongly about the type of sensor used for auto on/off. I prefer the sensor that is threaded into the engine and not the type that has a capillary tube/sensor that you push into the radiator fins or clamp to the radiator hose. The radiator temp can be misleading under several conditions allowing big $$$ repairs.
All need to be wired through a 30 amp relay with wire size capable of the start up amperage demands. This kit type is adjustable for temp. the fans turn on with the auto function and need the key on so battery drain is not an issue.
Bottom line for me is too make sure the fan kit is mounted well so fans not hit the radiator. Use a relay and wiring that will handle the amp draw. Use a sensor type that senses engine temp. Sensors in or on the radiator and not the engine can allow melt down under several conditions if not noticed quickly enough. Use a separate wiring run for the pusher fans so you have 2 systems (pusher = puller fans) that must fail to allow heat damage to your baby.