View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

To me the westfield just does not have the appeal of a Cobra. Even the appeal of a cheap Cobra.

Wouldn't be much easier to build than a Cobra.

Westfield would certainly be cheaper, when looking at the same quality.

You could build a 30K Cobra following this guide:
If you used lexus V8, auto, radiator etc etc from front cut.
Don't paint it immediately. Get them to do a gelcoat body in a suitable final colour, black is a great choice. Then get some stick on roundels with numbers for it, etc etc and it will look ok. Gelcoat polishes up really well. My brothers Cobra is done like this and it looks quite good.
Got for a race interior. Grab some 2nd hand seats and panel the interior and dash, it can look quite effective and is cheap to do.
Hit the swap meets for parts, big savings here.
Use 2nd hand wheels/tyres.
Even with wiring harness, you could pick up a couple of old harnesses and make one suitable harness out of it. We did that on our first Cobra, no electrical problems in 9 years of driving.
Spend the money on proper windscreen and suitable outside accessories: roll bar, side vents, quick jacks, badges, mirrors etc.

You would definitely be below $30k. I reckon below $25k if you really hit swap meets hard.

Eventually you could pretty it up, add nice wheels etc etc.

This is how I would go.

You also would not have to stick with an auto, you could drop in an old Supra 5 speed. These will handle the power of a standard Lexus in something light like a Cobra.

All the time is in the finishing off, fiddly stuff. The mechanical stuff is the quick, easy & fun part.

The last Harrison I built with my brother came in at $30k initially. It wasn't painted and didn't have a pretty interior, but had about $5k extra spent on it that wasn't necessary for a road car.

Last edited by 400TT; 11-09-2006 at 12:58 PM..