View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by martrogers
I suspect people underestimate this unless they track costs systematically.
Yep, it's a trap. It's all the small stuff that adds up.

Built 2 x Cobra's with my brother and we accounted for every cent as the costs were halved.

First Cobra cost $50k to build(8 years ago, so old pricing).

2nd Cobra cost $30k to build(2 years ago).

You can be smart and build cheap Cobra's.

Using Soarer/Crown front cut saves big $$$. You can get Engine, loom, ecu, gearbox, radiator etc etc for a total cost of $1500 after selling the stuff you don't need. And things like power steering pump, air conditioning compressor etc, are demand items.

Don't paint it, get a good gelcoat job in the colour you want. Sand back seems, polish it up. The good thing about leaving it gelcoat is that it gives time for the fibreglass body to settle while you are out enjoying it.

Buy 2nd wheels/tyres. You can save a lot of money on wheels/tyres.

As I said before, hit swap meets. e.g. you can pick up pretty decent chrome headlight surrounds for gold coin donation($1-$2), now that's a nice saving. Same goes for headlight buckets, headlights and lots of other stuff. Swap meets are time consuming, but can save big money. We hit nearly every swap meet for a year to build the 2nd Cobra.

This is the bargain end of the range though, the average Cobra costs around $50-60k these days to build I reckon.

The cool thing about Cobra's is the cheaper they are, the easier they are sell. And most people get the build cost back(and sometimes more) when they sell.