View Single Post
Old 07-02-2001, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dreaming of a 427 Competition car...
Not Ranked     
Smile Thanks for your replies!

I have been obsessed with Cobras, both replica and real, for about 14 years now, since I first laid eyes on one. Their looks, performance and the ideology that went into them - if it isn't essential, leave it out - are all part of that allure. There hasn't been another car that has had that effect on me.

I have ridden in two Cobra replicas in my time. The first was a Gravetti - remember them, Andy? It had a mildly tuned Rover 3.5 litre V8 in it, allied to the usual Rover 5-speeder. The second was a smallblock Chevy-engined Ram SC - a lovely car. We came off a roundabout at speed and blasted past a line of astonished-looking motorists! It's not ALL about performance, though. It's the whole package for me!

Barry - You're a lucky guy having such an active Cobra Club in your area. I do get to enjoy Cobras once in a while - spectating at the race track. I shall have my own Cobra in captivity one day, though...

BT SNAKE - You are right. There are some UK Cobra bulletin boards. I shall have to post on them and try to entice a few members over to CC.

Dan Heck - Which part of England? Unfortunately, I am extremely busy at work at present and I am about to move house too, so it is unlikely that I could be of much help when you visit. However, if you'd like the names and addresses of some manufacturers and owners' clubs, let me know.

Andy - Is it possible to register a new, imported kit with a period number plate? I hope so. My ideal car would be a Kirkham 427 S/C, but wouldn't that be everybody's? Seriously, though, an ERA, Unique, etc. would suffice... tee hee! You are right about not compromising too. There again, I really like the 289 FIA cars too, so a cheaper alternative might be a Hawk 289. What do you think about them?

Have a good day, all.

Regards,

Paul