View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax Trojeiro, Rover 3.5 V8
Not Ranked     
Default Importing a Dax cobra from the UK

Chaps

New to the site so apologies for not saying hello first...

Looking to move to Melbourne next year (lived there before and with an Australian missus, should not be a problem), and will bring my Dax with me. However, having looked into everything, it seems all will be fine other than the requirements of the vehicle standards people. I have heard that certain things that may need to be changed are the wing mirrors (as the glass has to be a certain something) and obviously the speedo.

Therefore, my question, mainly directed towards anyone who may have been through this process, is how strict they are and what it means. Is it a situation where they appreciate the car for what it is and are flexible, or will they insist on you changing the wing mirrors for ugly, non-standard ones that meet their requirements?

Likewise, if I have a speedo that is both mph and kph (regardless as my current one is just mph so will need to change), is this acceptable, or does it have to be kph only, or kph with the bigger letters (if you see what I mean)?

Anything else I need to be aware of? I know the car needs to be clean from top to bottom and it should be OK since I do not take it out in the rain etc, but even so, if I were to take a jet wash to it, the whole car would be soaked in seconds - it's hardly a water tight car!

Anyway, would be interested to hear from anyone, even those who have Dax in Australia. More details of the car can be provided if needed.

My ultimate aim to take the car to our summer house in QLD and leave it there for great summer driving, but as Melbourne will probably be our base, I'll wait and see...

Many thanks to you all.

Andy

PS What's the Melbourne chapter of the club like?