View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Question Leaking fuel line - Gas tank pressure?

Went out for a drive and after about 45 minutes I got a strong whiff of gasoline coming into the car. Pulled over, and sure enough there was gas running off the rear of the frame all over the ground. Couldn't get under the car to get a good look at the line, but figured I either cracked the -10 AN aluminum tubing, or the AN fitting where the tubing converts to braided line was loose.

Was going to have it towed home since I have road side coverage, but then the insurance company said I had to call the fire department first to secure the car before they'd dispatch a tow truck.

So, when the firemen arrive, they started watching the underside of the car and said they hadn't seen it dripping. So we moved it to the side, jacked up the rear, and I removed the left rear wheel so I could get at the fitting and line. (note to self - remember to keep the lead knock-off hammer in the car, and but a jack).

We decided to start the car to see if we could tell where the leak was, but when I did - no leak. Let it run for a while and still no leak, so I decided to drive it home.

When I got home and got it up on the lift, everything looked dry. Tried tightening the fittings a bit, and looked over the line, but am a bit befuddled by it all.

My only guess at this point is - could the gas tank have gotten over pressurized and caused fuel to leak out of the line at one of the connections? What is the typical set-up for venting the gas tank as I assume it's not supposed to build up pressure, right? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Scott