View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

No, no, no! Please continue racing with ProAutoSports and NASA and have a good time in doing so. Please have fun and just be aware,, and most of all, be CAREFUL. I just want to caution you and others about some of ProAutoSports careless practices. I.E., no drivers meetings, no tech inspections, a huge lack of corrner marshalls, very narrow tracks and so on. It's true, most of the drivers don't report too many incidences. Most of them are just rubbing fenders and a few bent bumpers. It is up to the individual involved drivers to handle any damage between themselves. But if something major occurs, look out. Just imagine one of the young ten year old go carters smacking a half filled water barrel at full speed. Ugly! For the most part, it can be a lot of fun. But for our own personal reasons, some of us won't ever go back to ProAutoSports. I am not alone here. The reason why NASA and ProAutoSports run at Firebird is because it is only one of two local tracks to race on. The other track is obviously PIR. ProAutoSports is banned from running at PIR. Years ago, the ProAutoSports promoter and NASA were one big happy family. Then something happened amongst the ranks and L.P. went out on his own. They never kissed and made up!
I didn't want to discourage you from running with ProAutoSports. Like I said before, I just wanted you to be aware and be careful. Read between the lines the next time you sign up for a day with ProAutoSports.
To answer your question, the stock car expected a slower car to let him by and didn't. ProAutoSports has a habit of joining classes with huge speed differences. The stock car driver had to take evasive action to avoid hitting the slower car and ended up ON TOP of the tire barrier in turn one on the main course. I watched it all from on top of the foot bridge. In fact, there is so much carnage on the main track that Bondurant's instructors are not allowed to instruct on the main course. The East course has it's excitement as well. I have seen cars contact the sand pit just past the start/finish and flip and roll. I have seen street cars smash in to the tire barriers approaching the first turn along the freeway, as well as race cars. I guess that the West track is the safest of all three. However, it gets it's share of crashes, too. I have witnessed an open wheeler upside down on top of the tire barriers in turn three. So don't believe that it doesn't happen. You just don't always see it or hear about it. Just because the promoter tells you that he has the safest racing record in the world doesn't mean that he does. Check it out yourself. I have seen your Lister before. It is a very beautiful car. Take care of it and don't let it get banged up on some parking lot style track!
Please don't let my own personal comments keep you from racing (or driving) with ProAutoSports. Just PLEASE be CAREFUL when you do!
I read this post because it caught my eye and just wanted to make you aware and did not intend to ruin your time on the track. If I did so, I deeply apologize!!! If you care to talk about this further, we can do so at Hershall's Christmas Party, if you are planning to attend, in a couple of weeks.