View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

JB34,
I welcome your opinion with open arms. But just like mine, it is only an opinion. I hope need4speed and anyone else enjoys their cars to their fullest extent at these types of events. My comment and opinion was to "make aware" of new drivers at PASA events. Plus, there are a lot of things that have happened at PASA that you are not aware of and I can not and will not elaborate on them. Sorry about that!
You are right. Stupid, careless ME spun my Cobra in turn 1 on the East track on the first lap of a passenger session on ice cold tires. I should have known better. That served as a warning to me and I learned from it. However, that was a turn that was extremely tight, more than 90 degrees and flat as hell. You also never seen me run the car on any other track at Firebird, have you?
I am not trying to pick your arguement apart, but you are 100% incorrect on a few statements.
1. There IS NOT a corner worker at every station. In fact, we have run on main with as little as three workers watching the entire race course. That is far from adequate!
2. There ARE NOT always three safety crews around any of the three tracks at Firebird race tracks. I have seen at least two, but not always three.
3. "Adequate" corner workers would be individuals that have been instructed on how to properly man a corner station. It's not as easy as it looks. I was asked once, and did man turn 1 on the East course without any instructions on how or what to do. Although common sense and being around racing helps to get you by. I have also been asked to serve as an instructor at a PASA event because PASA was short on instructors. I don't have ANY experience in instructing a student on how to drive a high performance car or a race car. The truth is I have only competed in one race with PASA and I won the race beating Larry Pond's son. And my car was LEGAL! I sold the car after that event because I felt that it was too dangerous racing on the main track at Firebird. I was right.
4. All THREE of Firebird's tracks ARE NOT a minimum of 35 feet wide around the entire course. Take for instance, the entrance to the tunnel turn on the main track. It is narrow there because they have lined the insides of both inside and outside guard rails with used tires.
5. Race group drivers do use the cones and barrels while racing. In fact, the go carters use the half filled barrels of water to go around. PASA does NOT remove the cones and barrels for race groups and put them back for high performance groups. Indianapolis DOES NOT use the half filled barrels to go around like it is used with PASA in place of a cone. I have seen PASA replace a cone with a half filled barrel because drivers were knocking the cones out of the way enabling them a better line around the corner. I have seen mirrors torn off by driver's clipping the barrels. (yes, that is true) That applied for high performance driving as well as race groups. PASA owns those barrels, not Firebird. They ARE NOT intended for impact barriers with PASA.
Like I stated before, PASA does not hold driver's meetings or has any tech inspections at their events. I do not want to keep anyone from enjoying their day(s) with PASA at Firebird Raceway. It is a great and wonderful way to experience high performance drfiving. MY point was simple; BE CAREFUL!!! As you have stated to others, go out to the track and investigate how the event is run and check out who is running the thing. Read the fine print and between the lines on the paper that you sign when you plop down your hard earned money to learn how to drive fast, properly. That goes for any organization. Please, just be careful!
Thanks for the comment on the trailer. The truck and trailer are back in Indiana right now having some warranty issues tended to.
I hope you understand that I was not trying to take the wind out of need4speed's sails. But again, it is only my opinion. Not everybody has a wonderful experience with everything, right? Things happen!
JB34, were you out at PIR this past weekend for the SCCA event? I didn't see you. There was a lot of great racing going on.
Thanks for your two cents. I didn't mean to upset you either!