View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys,

I have run open track events with lots of different organizations, PASA, NASA, COCOA, NWCC, etc.. Your safety is pretty much dependent on you. I mean that in the way you drive and the decisions you make. If somebody is on your tail, point them by. If you don't want to go off track, slow down. Most incidents occur, allthough rarely, when your own ego gets in the way, ask me how I know.

I am a big endorser of track events for cobra guys. One it allows you to drive your cobra fast in a relatively safe enviroment. Is it totally safe, no. Is it ten times safer than going fast on the street, YES it is. Two, you get to know your cobra better and how it behaves at the limit when you have gone too fast. That way when it happens on the street, which is now less likely because you realize how unsafe the street is for fast cobra's, you can catch the car before you hit somebody or something.

As for PASA, I would say there events are generally safer than nasa or azra. All 3 organizations do a great job, but nasa and azra primarily run at PIR. If you drive your car hard at PIR, there are only 2 corners you can spin on and not hit a wall. You spin in the 7 other corners and you are likely to hit a wall. If you are not near the limit with slicks, your chances of hittting a wall are less. At least at Firebird, 90% of the corners have lots of run out where the car will just spin and not hit anything. Since there are no elevation changes or drop offs, your chances of rolling your vehicle are pretty small. I personally like PIR as a track but the penalty is higher. I had much rather test the limits at the east track.

Larry is not getting a Christmas card from everbody, but he is being thrown under the bus here a bit unfairly.

Scott Coyle