View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, Sold, ERA FIA on order
Not Ranked     
Default New 302 Boss Block From Ford

I am just starting to research a new motor. Obviously Keith Craft and the Engine Factory are great alternatives, however I'm and at least looking towards building a 302. There are several companies that sell "bottom end kits" including forged crank, forged pistons, and rods, bearings etc. as a set, balanced. Add your cam choice, and in my case, AFR 165 heads, a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, and Holley 750 carb, and you have a nice motor in the 375 HP range. My question is the block. I have heard mixed reviews of Ford Motorsports crate motors and components. The new 302 'Boss' block sounds like a nice, strong base for a new motor. Is this block "ready to go" upon purchase, or does it require machining? (decking, boring, honing, etc?). This 302 motor is for an FIA car, possibly with a GForce T5 (as I've been hearing questionable comments about Tremec's, and the GForce has an OD 5th gear, rather than the Richmond Gear 5 speed with a 1:1 fifth gear). All comments are appreciated. Happy New Year!!!!! Rick