Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnd
I
As a suggestion; I would find out what spline axles you have before I went out and invested in pure drag slicks. If they are not at least 31 spline (preferrably 33's) you can pretty much count on wiping out the rear, (or parts there-in) upon launch with straight slicks. And if you insist on buying straight slicks, then you might as well buy drag rims (WELD is good brand), so the slicks can be screwed to the rim. Other wise you can't lower the tire pressure enough to take advantage of the slick's ripple wall without the tire slipping on the rim and you've accomplished little. Path of least resistance for a street car with occasional trips to the drags is M/T ET Street Radials for the strip, on a stock rim dropped to around 14#'s and go have fun with pretty good traction. (Unless you got a deep wallet for busted parts.) IMHO
Thanks for the help... I am an x road racer and have very little experiance with 1/4 mile runs. The rear end was modified by a local race shop for drag use so I hope it will take the abuse. I have been looking into drag rims as well. Thanks for the tip on the tire pressure... that should be a big help. Looks like I will be running the 315/17 Nitto Drag Radials until I get things sorted out. I spoke to an M/T rep yesterday and they are planning on introducing a 315/35/17 this spring which sounds like the ticket for the street.