View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default New Rules

Good work on coming up with some neat suggestions Jason.

I would like to chat to you about them at the next meeting - if you're available. I also dont want to sound overly negative about change - and in particular your suggested changes - because it is important that we strive for improvement.

Having said that however there are a couple of things that occur to me which make me somewhat equivocal about your suggestions.

And, I should say right now I think I have the best claim the underdog title; As far as I can tell no-one else will be running a carby 289, which will make my car potentially the least advanced at ShelbyFest - consequently I expect the charge of self-interest - which I accept, but in doing so say that it is not only my interests that I'm representing. I think that ultimately the interests of the club/event are paramount and I guess we'll see if anyone agrees with my observations.
The prospect of an award based on consistency is very appealing because it offers the prospect of 'anyone' winning and I guess it also makes sense for awards based on absolute merit afterall - if you're the quicker (wo)man shouldn't you get the award?

Consistency of Principle:
However, I dont understand why - if it is commendable that you are fast, and it is commendable that you are consistent, it would be the case that if you are fast and consistent that you could not be awarded for both (in fact maybe the person who has the highest average placing for both could be the 'winner').

Actual Merit:
Maybe the trophy (recognition) cut off point should be set by a nominal top percentage. 10 trophies for 35 contestants does not appear to particularly identify the elite.

Effect:
Having classes means that entrants with similar levels/combinations of equipment have a reasonable prospect of testing themselves against one another, relatively broad bands provide reasonable field sizes and the opportunity for individuals to experiment without having to recapitalize thier car if they wish to be competitive.

While it is true that people come for all sorts of reasons I think the risk of a single class event is that people may decide not to make the effort to just make up the numbers for the top few to continually dominate them.

Practially every form of competition is stratified so that people have an incentive to participate and improve. (btw one of my favorite tournament rules was that once you won a division your were automatically escalated the next year - keeps the trophy hunters moving on).

Other practical matters:
Much is made of the expense of the trophies - while it may please the presenters to hand over large shiny object; for the most part the recipients are happy to do well against their peers no matter the form the recognition takes

There is no law that says that every class must have a 1st -3rd trophy - or that all classes should have equal trophies - or indeed that the award have any physical form at all.

So, my personal preference would be to retain sensible classes and adjust the awards to a level that reflected the amount of competition, thats not to say that it has to be the whole event - and its just my preference.

No matter what is decided I'll be there.

For those of you with questions about winton try
http://www.wintonraceway.com.au/
(has FAQ section)

LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 01-21-2007 at 07:26 AM..