View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink which kit would you purchase

Hi, let me start with I really like this club and the talks. I have been reading alot and there is quite the deversity in the club.

The problem is I am no closer to deciding on a kit than I started. Infact I am further from it!!

I want to give my prospective on cobra kits, so I can get your best advice.

I like the cobras for the small body style, with the big motor, and great suspension. Needless to say if I had the money and was around when the 427SC came out I would have bought one in a hart beat. Not a 289 or 260 version but the 427SC.

I feel nothing less than one built in 1965-67? Is nothing more than a replica.
Sorry don't mean to affend anyone, but that includes the kirkham and finishline cobras too. Now if your still with me let me exlplain. These replicas are not through ford dealership and typically don't get the castiron sideoiler 427 Block, and their not build in 1965-67. So it would drive me crazey to try to duplicate this vehicle and hard to swallow my words, to say it was a true cobra if I had the money to do this.

And why would you? With the new aliuminum 427 sideoiler block, the now readily avialible electronic ignition system, and more comfortable seating. It seems logical to build something original to you and your standards. Even ford is calling their new Shelby Mustang a replica. Which I would buy if I had the money. Enough Said?

I think buy now you can tell I know enough to be dangerous.

Now for the brass tacks. I have a 429 and a C6 that I want to put in my cobra. Yes I regret it, but I have it and want to use it. FE I think is a better block for the daily driver and with gas prices a 351w would have been a better choice. But this block is a 72 and I have all the good stuff for it. The automatic is better for the daily driver too, exspecially in town and ford hasn't, in my opinion built a trust worthy auto since the C6.

I have been looking at body styles, I like B&B and Unique motors the best so far. I like the big rear fenders and how the body transitions to the front smaller fenders. I like Hurricane and Classic Roadster II for the completeness of the kit, for getting parts other than nuts and bolts and hoses is an issue for me.

I want the irs pkg and performance added to it, so I can get the ride and maybe take it to the track when I need to sow some oats!!

Personally I would consider a JBL because of the suspension, the body is alright but fe nders don't curl enough over the tires like I would want them too. Plus this is out of my price range too, but would consider one eventhough the body isn't exactly what I would want. The suspeneion is and out ways that aspect.

Sorry, I'm getting carried away! I would like to spend less than 22k for a kit that would include all the parts plus heater, wipers, and soft top. If you know of any kits or recomendations please respond. It is very much appreciated.

Thanks agian
George