View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

For HB5790, there were 9 written documents submitted, as of 9:00 AM on 2/9, even though there were three ways of submitting, in person, fax, or e-mail. The 9 came from the Connecticut Council of Car Clubs ( 4Cs ), Vintage Motorsports ( BackDraft Racing ), ERA, SEMA and 4 individuals.

We were able to take copies of all the written testimony. I was very disappointed that after all the Reply ,Posting and View traffic on this Thread regarding the topic there were only 9 written documents submitted. The reference for this Thread had also been posted on the FFR Forum by a Club Cobra member.

It is recognized that individuals might have sent e-mails to Legislators and/or Claire Janowski which would also have supported the initiative . There would be no way of knowing how many selected the alternative. In hindsight, after gaining experience with the process, appears all three methods, contacting a specific Legislator and the Bill sponsor , and providing testimony for use by the entire Committee, are needed to gain maximum exposure.

Another unknown is how many of the approx 300 Composite owners in CT have Cobras.,GT 40s etc and/or follow the Club Cobra and FFR Forums. Another hindsight , finding all the other Forums in CT, other than Cobras , that have Composite members.

The value of written testimony :

* Allows all 34 members of the Transportation Committee to become informed. At any one time during the Public Hearing only 12 to 15 members of the Committee were present due to schedule conflicts and/or other Committee assignments.
* There is a discussion reference for the Senators and Representatives to use when the entire Committee meets and takes a vote on reporting the Bill out of Committee
* Provides a variety of individual personalized viewpoints on the same subject
* Etc., etc.,

I have asked the LOB Transportation Committee office if written testimony can still be submitted, If I hear back, I will post the reply.

For Bills other than HB5790, I did notice during the Public hearing that Legislators, not on the Transportation Committee, testified. If anyone knows Legislators that have similar interests as we have and might also be of assistance, they also should be contacted.

For the future, if this initiative is not successful , there will be nothing to prevent additional reductions in the emission standard for Composites registered after 2007. Included is the possibility of making the future standards retroactive, such as eliminating the 2000 standard and adopting the 2005 standard for Composites that were already registered, as noted below:

2000: HC 484, CO 5.09 ( eliminated )
2005: HC 800, CO 4.00
2006: HC 220, CO 1.20
2007: HC 220, CO 1.20