View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

A couple of thoughts:

As to the edge of the cowl, in the cars that I have done as well as the ERA turn-keys, an effort is made to try to round that off to look like the original. One ERA owner actually glassed I a small tube in to the edge to affect the look. As to the doors and the steel support structure around the door, this all gives structural integrity to the chassis and provides some level of safety that would clearly be lost if that and the inner door structure were removed.

Remember that original aluminum cars tended to flex and there was absolutely no pretense of any side protection. In original style cars there is nothing to stop intrusion into the car until it hits the frame rails. I would suggest that your efforts ought to be focused elsewhere (say, install an aluminum hood with tube frame).

Jim

PS: As an aside, I think that removal of the ERA support structure and door support would be viewed by a potential purchaser as a negative when you go to sell the car... and that day will come sooner or later.