View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

501Cobra,

Good idea! I will look into putting part numbers on the block. You are right, it certainly can be a replacement block.

quickjack,

We had the billet heat treated before we even started. I didn't want the trouble of it warping after it was machined. You are right, by the time you count up the spindle time, I am sure there will be far more parts we make that we will have better margins with.

Steve,

I know you are just joking and it is interesting to look at raw material costs.

Actually, you can not buy aluminum for $1.50/pound. Forgings are more like $3-$5/pound and that does not include the price of tooling. We currently pay $2.25 for extrusion (not forgings) and over $3 for plate--when you can find it. The forging we had made was almost $2000.

Then add:

$125,000 milling machine
$100,000 in tooling, cutter, holders, etc.
$50,000 in CAD/CAM software
200 hours of design time
200 hours of programming
100 hours of proofing--(so far)

and I haven't even paid to turn on the lights yet, paid for opportunity costs, or received a guarantee that it will actually work and people will buy it.

As for material costs, the CAD/CAM programs that I paid $50,000 had a raw material cost of maybe 0.50 cents for the discs they came on.

The raw material costs for the Mona Lisa are probably a dollar.

BUT if you want the "best" raw material cost vs retail cost...

just talk to a lawyer!!!

I know you were just joking, and sometimes I wonder why things cost so much too. I am sure everyone realizes there is WAY more to making something than just the raw material cost of whatever you start with.

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."

Last edited by David Kirkham; 02-21-2007 at 03:00 PM..