View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Hi Rodknock,

On both the BAR and the DMV for TOPs it seems to vary wildly. My experience at the BAR was very pleasant. I tried to pass based on year of engine block. I've got a Roush 427R based on a Dart Windsor block, which is of course new. The referee looked up the 351 and said we could try it as a '69 which was the first year in his books for a 351. I failed miserably, but it was worth it, and it leads in to your TOP question.

My experience with the TOP was that I got 30 days almost every time, I think I got 60 once. But if you can demonstrate that you are trying to make progress I found the DMV workers willing to give me extra TOPs. In order to follow the steps outlined by the DMV for a SPCNS you would have to do something like this.

1) Go to DMV, submit application for title, statement of construction, etc, pay fees. At this point you will get a TOP, and some paperwork to take to the CHP to have a VIN number installed.

2) Make your appointment with the CHP. Here in Gilroy they can only do Mondays, and their schedule was like 4 weeks out, so guess what, my TOP didnt make it far enough to my appointment. Back to DMV, explained the scheduling with the CHP and got another TOP.

3) Brake and Lamp inspection. There are actually not that many shops that are still able to do these, I had to call about 10 gas stations before I found one locally that could do it for me. This one isnt much of a time waster so may be hard to justify an extra TOP.

4) Make an appointment with the BAR referee, their schedule was very backed up, it was almost 60 days out when I first called.

5) Go to BAR referee and fail smog

This was also important for me because I got a nasty gram in the mail from the DMV telling me in no uncertain terms that I needed to complete my registration. By getting some of these steps done I assume it put some data in the computer as I never got a second reminder letter about the registration.

I hope this helps some, good luck with your search. Also where in CA are you? If you are in the bay area come to either the east bay or west bay breakfast one saturday and chat with some of the guys that have completed the process recently.

Daryl