View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Question Everybody

Just a point. NOT everybody will be there before Saturday, even if you don't know them and they aren't from Big D, and NOT everybody has been to the previous meets, say 2005, so they may not have any clue where the Oasis or Arroyo is, even which direction they might be. Last year I arrived at 9 on Saturday (I worked that Friday ) I was pre-registered and pre-paid, but couldn't figure out where to check in (a photo trailor, of course how obvious and the sign was great- forgot, there wasn't one, trailor wasn't open then, setting up for the group photo?; hotel desk had no idea, maps, clue). Got into the group photo by asking some questions from God knows who and tagging along. Tried to make the group cruise to Marble Falls (without a map- didn't know there was one) and took my own route after following several other cobras out of the parking lot whose drivers either didn't have a map or couldn't read them as they scattered in all directions west of Austin. I know where Marble Falls is so I found that and stumbled upon the grill, just in time to get seats in another room from where the "meeting" was. The only folks I met were around their cars. Never did figure out who was in charge so I could thank them for putting on the meet

Now I post this after reading all the posts in both threads that are supposed to be letting people know what is going on. The time schedule and info on the check in at the Digital Cafe Photo trailor are good, but the other important thing for me and probably most others who might be newer members would be a downloadable map of the planned cruises, especially the Saturday event. A 150 mile cruise needs a good map provided beforehand and an offer at departure time of an additional copy for those who forget theirs (or lost it on 6th Street ). If no downloadable map can be posted beforehand, at least post a good description of the route with stops so those who want to come prepared can print our own The alternate route posted by bwana snake several posts earlier is an example of this.

Another suggestion in order to create a comfort level for all us clueless newbees, people in charge of things should easily identifiable with a distinctive shirt or hat and a readable name tag. Reading folks forum name is no help in figuring out who is who at the meet. The idea is to recruit new members or not so much

As for the pages of posts about peeing on electric fences or exhausts, who is riding with whom or posts that are only understandable to previous attendees; start other threads and spare those of us who just want useful event info without wading through fluff

Thanks for considering the viewpoint of one of the uninitiated, even if he is an Aggie and doesn't have a big hometown club to hang with