View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 88 NAF 427 SC, built (but sick) 302, 4sp Toploader w/ scattershield, 4 link coil-over 9" rear w/ 4.56 gears
Not Ranked     
Default Money in hand...

Right now we can afford to spend between $5500 and $6500 on an engine. Given that we need to regear the rearend to 3.55 ($725), install an oil cooler/remote filter ($250 - $300), upgrade the cooling system ($350 - $500) and install a fuel cell ($800 - $1000) a number of things seem logical. First, stay with an 8.2" deck block. Second, use everything possible off the old motor (heads, intake, headers, distributor, carb, starter, etc). Third, buy good components (Dart block, forged crank, rods and pistons ~$2800) and use a respected, local builder to machine and put it all together (~$2000 for the short block). Fourth, don't go horsepower loco (shooting for 375 rwhp).

Following this logic, the only real questions at this point are:

1) how much money will it take to rebuild the heads (parts and labor -- and already know they'll need a new set of roller rockers);

2) will the head/intake/carb combination support 375-400 streetable hp (Ford Motorsport J302 aluminum heads -- does anyone know anything about them?);

3) will we have to rebuild or replace the distributor?

However, if the heads become expensive (ie: require extensive machining for warpage, and/or porting to hit the horsepower target ) I'll need some other options. Builder wants to use Victor or Victor Jr. heads and intake...

For myself, I've always admired the Boss 302 motors. Have found myself looking enviously at the Boss 302 Exchange. Wife says that if I sell the Ducati (she dislikes it because it's a solo seat bike) I can get any engine I want...

How much value does an FE build in one of these things?

Options? Recommendations?