Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblumberg
Is it possible for you to rotate the unit 90 degrees so that the oil cooler input and output are facing forwards? That way you might be able to get away with 45 degree bends instead of the 90s?

Can you provide more details on the mounting device and what portion of it is weak? What is the distance between the two mounting holes on the clamp?

-Nathan
As I mentioned in my original post, if I didn't like my remote oil breather tank so much I would have oriented the t-stat just like Jim Woodward's. And as he just indicated, the same +5 PSI at the gauge and not much benefit either way (though I'm sure a physicist would argue correctly that the flow dynamics of the oil would be improved with Jim's set-up over my vertical one). The pic angles will fool you...there isn't any room (even with the 45s) to rotate the t-stat 90 degrees. I would have to fabricate a longer (and thicker) bracket and place the t-stat closer to the water pump pulley. Hmmm...maybe I'll mess around with that next winter (now you have me thinking about it...dangerous! ).

The mounting device? It's basically a band clamp (don't know the proper name, because it's really not a true band clamp) that is riveted to a formed steel strap with two holes roughly 3" apart. The cross member is 2" square stock, so you are forced to fabricate a small aluminum bracket, fasten the bracket to the cross member, and then fasten the t-stat band clamp to the fabbed bracket. It's hard to see my bracket because I painted it the chassis color (including touching up the rivets...I'm such a detail freak) and I also rounded off the corners so that I wouldn't cut-up my hands when working on the front of the engine. I obviously paid $190 for the t-stat and they threw in the band clamp for free.

Thanks to all for the compliments and to Jim for showing me his set-up...his pics pretty much made me decide which route I was going to go with.

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 03-22-2007 at 07:57 AM..