View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 88 NAF 427 SC, built (but sick) 302, 4sp Toploader w/ scattershield, 4 link coil-over 9" rear w/ 4.56 gears
Not Ranked     
Default More drooling...

Hi,

RedCSX1: Was looking for a 1991 or so FJR 1200 when I found the Duck. Wife let it slip that if I sold the Duck, she'd like us to get a Harley. Personally I don't care for HDs (overpriced and underpowered IMHO), but she likes riding as a passenger. That's why I bought the Cobra in the 1st place -- it gave her a place to sit and she *loved* it when we looked at it. Now she wants more, as usual. See your point about money and FEs. Radiator mods (remove filler neck and change inlet/outlet sides) will be done when the engine is out of car, as well as several other things. Have finally gotten all the air out of system and probably will flush the system and change to a 25/75 coolant mix to see how much temps drop before the rebuild. Radiator has an unshrouded fan (puller).

Gagnard and Emanon: At this point must make a decision as to wheither or not I can trust the builder. (Any information on Southern Style Racing Engines of Pinellas Park FL?) On a personal level, seems like a straight up, old school kinda guy who's been doing this in the same location for many years. The shop is very well-equiped. Have been checking his advice and recommendations here as well as a couple of other places. Thus far it's held up remarkably well. He likes Dart blocks, will not consider anything in the rotating assembly that isn't forged, and is willing to work with my heads/intake though he prefers the Victor heads and intake. Using the Victor heads, 3.125 bore and 3.25 stroke, he claims the engine will easily make 400+ hp, but will not make any promises about horsepower using the J302 heads (nor should he if he's not built that combination). He's got a dyno and uses it to break in and tune the engines before they go out. I'll know exactly what I've got before it leaves the shop. One more thing, he's building the exact combination he's recommending for another local Cobra, and I've been watching them work on it during my visits.

Manowar: My wife believes you might be the devil No doubt about it, your products certainly are tempting... If my builder turns out not be what I hope he is, you'll be hearing from me.

We regear the rearend from 4.56 to 3.50 next Tuesday. Am off to change the oil and read the oil filter. Hopefully the tea leaves are favorable...

Dave