View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4071, SHP 408 Carb dry sump, G-Force T-5, 4 into 4 headers, 3-link 8.8 with 3.55 gears in the rear
Not Ranked     

Dan, those are some really good ideas for future Roundup events. I agree, the love bugs put a serious damper on the Saturday events last year. After working with Ed for the last 3 events I can testify that to plan a Roundup like we expect is 10 times the amount of effort you imagine. In order for us to grow this event we need to have these good ideas, the think-tank process is very time consuming especially if we follow "rabbit trails". We can also use the help from members of the DSCC to help plan and organize various parts of the event. Jim and Lori Pomroy spent a great deal of time and gas to discover, document and plan last years poker run. Please don't feel offended if we aren't able to follow through with all of the good ideas. We are time and resource limited. It gets tough for 2 people to do this in their spare time. Am I hearing that we have a volunteer for organizing and running the car show? :-) I think the model car event is a good idea I just don't have the time to assemble a model I'm proud of (even though I already have one that is unopened). In fact I have even thought of having a "pinewood derby" with cobra replica models. It takes equipment and a lot of planning, organization, and setup/teardown to pull off something that will possibly be not very well supported.

Also, so we all know where the money is going and coming from, the Friday night Meet and Greet has been fully financed by DSCC funds and not added to the cost of tickets/admission. As previously stated, the bank account currently is almost entirely funded by track events. Fortunately the last Meet and Great received a vendor contribution making it possible to pull it off.

Silver Springs was the backup plan in case we didn't get enough support for Sebring last year. Fortunately we were able to make Sebring happen. It's also an option this year since we can not book Sebring. What makes Silver Spings a challenge is their strick rules for entry and exit. All cars must be in by a certain time and no cars can not leave before 5. This rules out things like a Poker Run held later that day. There are still ways to work with this limitation but it means extra thought and planning to keep things interesting for the entire event.

Keep these ideas coming...
Chime in to elaborate about more ways to make a car show more interesting to all... Baldest tires? (I think I can win that one). :-)
We would really like to get the general public more involved with our "car show" event also. The club really doesn't have the finances for a mass media campagne. Any good ideas? Flyers at local auto part stores? But we will need local member support to pull this off.

Robert