View Single Post
Old 07-24-2001, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Question Jag Rear End Service Manual

Well, my kit is finally on order (actually it's been on order for a while now but I'm a patient guy ) so I'm working on all the other necessary stuff while I wait. The engine is nearly done so I'm moving on to the rear end. I have a complete rear end out of a '74 XJ6 that I'm preparing to rebuild. I've done some work on Dana 44's before but I've never rebuilt a jag rear end. I'd like to find a good service manual.

I've searched the web and found 2 service manuals that I'm considering but I don't want them if they don't do a good job of covering the rear end ( I sound like my wife when she's shopping for a swim suit). The first one is titled, "The Jaguar XJ6 Series 2 Workshop Manual." It runs a steep $105 on Amazon. The second one goes for about $50 and is simply listed as the XJ6 Series 2 Manual (E188/4). The second one claims that it is an "official manual - not a condensed manual you find in most bookshops and accessory shops - it is an actual factory manual with infinitely more detail and guidance than you will find in any other publication."

Does anyone have any experience with either of these manuals or a recommendations for other manuals that adequately cover the rear end rebuild?

Chris