View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR #1668
Not Ranked     

I believe the FFR forces their geometry to fit the stock 4-link. This is, that is the original Ford design, a low cost design for low powered production cars.

I think what they are trying to say is that the Standard FFR rear is a Triangulated Four link. This uses 2 upper and 2 lower control arms. These arms are angled in pairs...Upper and lower. Each pair is angled either toward the center of the car or angled toward the outside of the car. This allows the control arms to not only allow up and down movement of the Rearend, it also holds the Rearend centered . The most popular drag race specific set up is the parallel 4 link (as opposed to the Triangulated 4 link). This set up places all 4 control arms parallel to the chassis and requires a Panhard rod to be mounted diagonally from the frame to the opposite side of the Rearend to keep the rear from moving left and right. Ford uses the Ring Gear Diameter to describe their Rearends...a 7.5 rearend has is a 7 1/2" ring gear, 8.8 has a 8.8 ring gear etc. For the power level and the uses you describe the "Standard" FFR Triangulated 4 link will work fine.