View Single Post
Old 07-27-2001, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Ev-Mo Recommendation

Larry,

I built my E-M Cobra over a period of about ten years buying parts and small kits as I went along, similar to how mg2166 is building his. As such, I have had plenty of dealings with Brett, Bruce & Buford Everett and Bob Spedding. I will tell you honestly that they all were always courteous and helpful and never put out by my many requests and questions. The assembly manual had never been updated while I was building my car and consequently it was quite out of date. I talked to Brett about it and it was on his list of things to do, but I don't know if they ever accomplished an update. Truthfully though, it was never a problem because as Dennis said, it is a simple car to build and they were always helpful if there was a question.

The quality of their fiberglass is very good, The chassis is very well constructed and overall the car is very sturdy. Most parts fit the chassis/body with minor trimming & shimming. I went with the Corvette suspension option and as Dennis said, without performing major surgery to narrow the rear, my tires are near the point of being too wide for the wheelwells. My only other complaint is that the fiberglass body & 4" dia. steel tube chassis are constructed so heavily that the car ends up weighing a couple hundred pounds more than it should, but for a street car that's not a bad thing.

On the road, my car is absolutely stable and comfortable at any speed. The car tracked and handled perfectly even before I had the front end aligned. Everything functions properly and I am very pleased with all aspects of the car except one. The Corvette brake system without vacuum assist is marginal. I cannot apply enough pedal pressure to stop the car quickly or even lock them up. For normal driving it's acceptable, but if I need to make a panic stop I'll be in trouble. I have not swapped the semi-metallic Corvette pads for softer organic pads yet, to see if this the way to go, but I believe that it will solve my problem.

In summary, E-M is a good choice depending on what it is you're after in a Cobra replica. There are quite a few very good kit manufacturers out there and one of them will suit your needs, so do your homework and pick the one that is best for you (kind of like a wife).

Good luck,

Mike