View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

My thoughts as a former Council member, Chief Commissioner and Mayor

Great to see your interest in Local Government - Council - I'm sure you will enjoy your time on Council.

Get ready for the phone calls from all of the electorate that has been refused applications or a hearing. They will try you out.

I stood for Local Government and was elected in 1988 at 32 years of age. My young family enjoyed my time on Council. It was a busy time with 80,000 plus in the electorate. I was lucky enough to be the Mayor two years later and really enjoyed this time.

After leaving Council in 1994 I was back in again as a Governemnt appointed Commissioner by the Premier - your Governor - who asked me to head up the amalgamation of Councils. This was a fulltime position for nearly three years.

The Council that I was responsible for was Wyndham City Council that was mid way betwen Melbourne and Geelong. Around 100,000 in the area.

I have been out of Council for a number of years now but on reflection I really enjoyed being on Council.

and my children still get a kick out of pointing out brass plaques on bridges and buildings that I opened during my time as Mayor and Chairman of Commissioners.

Guess I do still a bit...

Good luck on the Council.

Kristen how about you on Council with all that free time....
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 05-16-2007 at 02:17 AM..