View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 427 SOHC kits for $11,000!!!

Now that I have your attention. I have been working on Jim Dove for almost 5 years to make a SOHC kit. I finally got through. I spoke with Jim on Monday, it looks like the cammer kits will be a go. Jim was looking for 10 people to each buy 10 kits. The large run is what is responsible for the low price. Maybe better news is that I have been working hard to line up a consultant to help in the foundry. More details on this, but hopefully this will help with the casting quality. If you are in a rush, Jim says he can have kits in about 90 days, the whole production run will take much longer so purchase timing is flexible. Some details on the kit:

Block
This block is based on the Ford Lemans aluminum block. It externally is identical to the Ford piece. The main webs are much thicker, and so are the decks. This is going to be a dedicated SOHC block. The lifter bores and the rest of the cam tunnel will not be machined. The standard bore will be 4.25 with a max bore of 4.31. The main saddle bores will be finished to factory minimum, and the oil drain back holes will be drilled. It will come with main studs and crossbolts. The bores will need to be finish honed.

Heads
These are done with original tooling. They will come with 3/8 guides, and hardened seats. The heads are aluminum, and come with matching caps. The guides will need to be finish honed to match your valves, and a good valve job. No further machine work is necessary. The heads feature much thicker combustion chambers and decks then the originals, which were weak points.

Timing covers
The front cover is aluminum, and will no longer have a Dove logo on it. The back cover will be sheetmetal, like the original.

Timing Gears
The full set of gears for the long chain, the tensioner, and the fuel pump excentric will be included. These gears will feature a modern style chain, which is stronger than the original.

Intake
The intake is a Ford XE casting that looks very similar to a tunnelwedge intake. It features a removable top. It will come with a dual four top.

Valve train
The rockers offered currently ar very beefy iron pieces, but may be changed to aluminum in the future. They are very nice pieces, with the correct crown on the rollers. You will get cast cam blanks, ready to be finish ground to your specs. Crane has over 20 profiles to choose from, plus other companies also offer grinding services for the SOHC cams. A cast, fully finished snub cam will also be included, along with the rocker shafts, spacers , and cam bearings.

Bits
The valve covers will also be from the original Ford tooling, and feature the Ford logo. Spark plug tubes, a SOHC specific water pump, and cam locking tabs will also be included. The cam cover plates, snub shaft bearing, and cover will be in there too.

This is a very complete kit, that should only need readily available parts to finish. Just add your choice of reciprocating assembly, and a few odds and ends and you are ready to go. Drop me an email if you are interested.

Paul Solomon

Last edited by ogasman; 01-14-2008 at 02:59 AM..