View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Hi Three, we have, but are happy to help,
I'll share a conversation I had with Dennis Olthoff on eliminating wheel hop and priorities in upgrading your suspension for traction.
I'm too am enjoying the AVO shocks and original setup on #867 from 2000.
First on the list is the Bilstein shock and coil upgrade. ($1200 for all 4)
Larger rear sway bar ($150) and urethane sway bar bushings ($50) would be next. There are other bushings you could change to urethane, but won't make much difference.
The next thing would be to solidify the rear differential. This involves taking the rubber bushings out of the front rear diff mount and making this connection solid. Locate/fabricate some solid aluminum "bushings" and replace the rubber. Dennis says this will transmit a little noise, but helps a lot.
Here's the bolts I mentioned:

He also suggested the urethane motor mounts to keep the motor more in line with the rear end to reduce the twisting reaction transferring rearward. ($200)

From other sources, I found an idea to raise the top mount of the rear shocks (check the top horiz. mount where it attaches to the frame-you can adjust it in 1" increments) then preload (compress the spring) the coil over. You'll have to watch the tire height here or you'll rub.

I took the cheap way and I've done the rear sway bar, Poly bushings and shock mounting and my wheel hop is all gone. If you can pop for the Bilsteins, I've heard they're awesome.
Good luck!