View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Worlds fastest Cobra

Well the late Dick Smith certainly had a fine Cobra and a great history!

I had a Cobra now owned by Bevan Wright in New Zealand, this car was Kevlar bodied (which actually counts for nothing) running an aeroscreen, had a 12.5.1 comp LS7 Hilborn injected Chevrolet 454 engine, supposed to be between 650 - 700 bhp, I ran an easy 7200rpms in top gear with a 3.1 rear end ratio on 335/35/17 tires, that works out at 175mph this car regularly achieved timed speeds on NZ (shortish) race tracks at 172mph!

I think Bevan has had 190mph out of the car since with a bit more HP and the car was still pulling strong and would rev through 7200rpm easily, with a 2.88 rear end and a bit of work who knows, but I think Dick Smiths speed record would be hard to beat in a cobra. The car I am currently building has 2005 Nascar engine technology with almost 700bhp, that and the lighter weight/size is why I chose a SBF over the FE due to engine developments since the 1960's and probably more to the point the modern reliability factor, but time will tell on that one!!

I have just about finished the book about New Zealander Burt Munro, "the worlds fastest Indian" Burt as some of you will know did 201.5 mph at Bonneville on a 1920 model Indian motorcycle with a much modified and revolutionary developed Indian engine, and the stories of his friends Ed (Isky cams), Donald Campbell and Breedlove etc and many others all for the quest for speed, or as its known the "Gods of speed" is just fantastic reading.

The 1960's rocked!