Thread: Tulsa
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Do you trailer your cobra from the Marriott to Hallett or pack what you need and drive it out and back?
I just drive it back and forth! Hope for the best..... Beautiful, cool drive at 7 in the am. hot hot hot muggy drive back home, all exhausted and probably slightly sunburn.

What about fuel, air, tools for adjustments, lawn chairs, pop ups for shade, electricity availability?
I go out there with a full tank of gas. I hope there is fuel somewhere!! tools?? hmmm I take the few I keep in the trunk, anyway. There are covered, open air garages that have picnic tables and probably electricity. don't know.... I've always just parked on the side of the dirt road, trying to stay out of the way. this year I rented a garage space that I was able to acquire from Clois. I'll sit on the picnic table, and that's my chair and shade. If you want to park on the side of the road, feel free to sit at the picnic table. I've never needed tools; knock on wood. Jay N. did attach a safety wire that was missing last year. He borrowed someone's tool and wire, tho', as I had left mine back in my trailer at the hotel.

How much track time can one expect...number of sessions, etc.
I don't know how much track time each level (level I,II, or III) will get. There is a schedule somewhere; look on the website.
Share with all of us (track virgins), some of your experiences at Hallett. Buy the way...what about "long pants?"
My experiences. Ok. I love going to Hallett! great fun, wonderful elevation changes, blind hills, tight turns, rapid acceleration, deep braking, the works.
They have had IN THE PAST a track tour level- novice level, no helmet required, controlled speed (pace car) and NO passing. I've done that twice, and last year decided I was 'READY' to move up to level 3. A bit faster pace car, I THINK passing in two zones but NOT SURE about that, and helmet required. Not sure tho' if you can have a passenger in level 3, but we'll find out. so, anyway, this year I am all set to do level 3, and have found out they discontinued the track tour anyway, so i would have been at level 3 by default, anyway. So. Anyone that runs at Hallett will start at 3. (now this isn't true for experienced drivers, etc. They can jump on into level 2, but I'm doing level 3.) Even though i've done several track experiences etc., I still think i'll do level 3, altho' on saturday if all is going well and it doesn't seem too scary I'll do level 2.
I have decided road courses are where my interests are. I'm 'done' with big tracks, (except one more time with run n gun) as I'm not interested in high speeds with walls. Road courses are challenging, and really help test your skills at driving, handling, etc. It's not all about speed. The feel of your car shifting thru turns, climbing the hills, speeding down a straightaway then into a hairpin turn are all great and thrilling to me, and the idea of doing all that without walls is just wonderful. Our cars are built on 'old technology' though, and I just think the big ovals/rovals etc. are really hard on them, and I just don't trust the safety integrity, for me anyway. Just going 60-70 thru a nice turn, decelerating to a tight turn, then running back up to 80 or so is just fine with me. I am not in it just to see how fast can i go....
now the dragstrip is great fun, though. The dragstrip is northeast of Tulsa, again, i drove out there, about 20+ minutes or so from the Marriott.
I think my driving ability is fair, and altho' I LOVE the dragstrip, I just feel safer at Hallett. Dragging is SO HARD on the suspension. An 'old style' Cobra is gonna lose to new technology, so unless you're gonna bracket race, it seems unfair from the start. Now I did win the drag last year, in the powder puff division, (girls) dialing in on bracket racing UNDER 14. seconds.
It was fun, very exhilirating, and really exciting!!!!
But... this year, I'm planning on the two driving days at Hallett, exclusively.

I've always worn shorts at Hallett, but that was the 'track tour' and this year I am taking driving pants, or jeans, or thin cotton pants just in case.
'04 and '05 I wore shorts on the drag, '06 they required pants... but that's another story....
In fact, I think they've always REQUIRED pants, but last year enforced it.

well that's a lot and if i think of anything else I'll add another post. Any other questions you think of, then just ask.
Kristen

Last edited by hey,littlecobra; 06-09-2007 at 01:54 PM..