View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Caution

If you think you're going to simply ovalize the bottom bolt hole and pivot the starter over closer or further from the ring gear when using a FORD F250 starter, don't overlook the fact that it has a locating ring that mates with the bellhousing. It's not so easy. I've been there.

Someone needs to make a 460 starter that (1) does not have this locating ring and (2) has a simple adjuster that pivots the starter as-needed and (3) has an inspection hole so you can see the starter gear and ring gear with the starter installed (without removing the transmission). This would be an obvious hot seller...this problem is widespread.

If such a starter existed, all you'd do is back the adjustment nut off, install it, spin the adjusting bolt until it's tight, then back it off X turns...and tighten the main mounting bolts. Someone please make this so I don't have to.

Byron

P.S. If anyone cares, drilling/modifying your lakewood bellhousing voids the SFI certification Also, the root-cause of this problem (according to and old timer at Tilton) is that Lakewood used an FE flyweel when mocking up their bellhousing design and has yet to fix it.

Last edited by ByronRACE; 06-09-2007 at 08:33 PM..