View Single Post
Old 08-03-2001, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Default Percolation

I have the Demon carb with sight glass on the bowls. After a long run in the heat of the summer, the fuel could actually be seen, through the sight glass, boiling. Caused some real drivability problems. Worst was it would simply cause the car to die in city driving (after coming off expressway) and would not restart for 15 minutes. This was becoming common on a hot fall day when the gas stations were pumping winter blend gas.
I made a large fiberglass barrier to separate the carb from the engine. Looked like a cafeteria serving tray stuck inder the carb. Worked great. Looked bad. Carb temps dropped more than 50 degrees. A lot more than 50 degrees. But it was really ugly. So I switched to an aluminum barrier for looks. Not quite a turkey pan. I piddle with the carb too much to ever put a turkey pan on. More of a "cake pan" I would say. Aluminum is a stupid thing to make a heat shield out of. It conducts heat as good as copper. It still dropped the carb temps enough to kill the percolation.
Bob