View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Haha - small world! ( and you seem to be 3 jumps ahead of me )

I can check the date code of my motor (if I ever get back that far) but imagine it would be 1965ish. (My Tiger was a "Mk1a" )

Somewhere I have some snaps of the car from a dinner at Bill's house - we had it on the back deck.

Its good to know it went to a proper home - good luck w/ it!

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyle
Thanks for the response David. I bought the car from Bill so it now sits in my garage. The car would have received whatever engine that the Cobras had. Shelby said to Boskoff "see that white car over there? I want you to put one of our motors in there." The engine would have come from the pile of engines they had getting ready to go in the Cobras. That also explains why the prototype Tiger has the Harrison overflow and the Lucas generator.

I've talked to all the Tiger guys and have also talked to some of the original builders including Phil Remington and George Boskoff. I've also talked to photographers from that period including Shelby photographer Dave Friedman. They just don't have any pictures of the car since it was a "secret" build. That and the fact that all the guys in the Shelby shop were paying attention to the cool new Cobra. I'm hoping original Cobra photos will shed some light on what the engine compartment looked like.

I do have several 260 Tiger blocks but I'm trying to get as numbers correct as possible and that would be a 2K2 date coded block. The car currently has a January 1964 HiPo that codes (563-A) to Fairlane with manual transmission. Nobody knows how that motor got in there but it appears to have been there since before 1976. Bill Carroll says it was shipped back to Shelby in 1964 or so to have the HiPo put in it. Shelby says that Bill put the HiPo in it. The only real proof I have is the Shelby tag on the firewall (and the stamping in the firewall sheetmetal) that shows motor 2K26B. I know it's a longshot but I'm going to search for a 260 with a similar or exact code on the block. In the mean time the HiPo will do but it smokes like you wouldn't believe. It didn't have an oil filter when I bought it and probably never did. I think it's a little worn out.