Thread: Accusump kits
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

tc -
I wouldn't bother with an Accusump just for pre-oiling, but if you're going to participate in autocross or open track events, it can save your engine. I know, because I lost my first engine to oil starvation at an autocross. To install an Accusump you'll need a place to mount the Accusump cannister, and hose and fittings to connect the Accusump to your oil system. If you want to use it for pre-oiling, you'll also need a valve to trap oil in the Accusump before you shut down your engine. Manual valves are cheaper, but must be mounted within easy reach of the driver. Electrically controlled valves are easier to mount in the cockpit, but require wiring connections.

My car is not an SPF. I mounted my Accusump on the frame, just forward of the engine. It connects to the return hose from my oil cooler using a T-fitting and the same size AN hose as the oil cooler. I have an electric valve controlled by a switch on the dash. I think I bought it from Summit Racing or one of the other big performance parts stores.

Accusumps come in different sizes. The smaller the cannister, the shorter the period of time it can provide significant oil pressure for your engine.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor